"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."
- Albert Einstein

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

The end of January already?! It seems all my posts start the same… it's incredible how fast the time goes, even if most weeks do start with the dreaded, long Monday. Happy New Year friends! Or Gung Hay Fat Choy! As we were reflecting on 2013, we realized there were a lot of really good moments for us! 

To the left, we have Sarah and I (yes in somewhat matching toques) after a stressful drive down island to get to the airport. It was quite the debacle getting down with all the snow, but with Sarah's stealthy driving we made it. Nothing was stopping us from getting home!

But before I get a head of myself, let me take you back...

Arts and Crafts! So many Christmas presents went home this year, including some pretty cute MistleToes in homemade frames :)

I must really love these kids! Here I am baking the cookies they made from scratch (for those of you who know me, know this is a RARE occasion!)

Our "Christmas Carol" set starting to come together! Sarah did a great job - she is so crafty! Check out the stained glass window effect she created! All of our students (specifically the 5/6/7's) did a FANTASTIC job with memorizing their lines, singing and all in all putting on an entertaining evening! We were all so incredibly proud of them.
My Grade 1's were the cutest "snow people" you ever did see!! 
The PreKs & K's were colourful, unique snow flakes, and together we put on a short skit, and sang "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow". During an instrumental break the kids were surprised with a fake snow machine, and "snow" falling from the ceiling. It was an amazing moment, watching their faces light up was one of the best feelings. 

Even Santa made it to our show! Now, spot the teachers ;)

Christmas break was just what I needed to relax and regroup. Not to dive too much into my personal life, but it was an incredible two weeks. Being home, in the house you grew up in, with the people you love, with the snow and the Christmas lights… it's magical. Spending time with my brothers, parents, cousins, friends and friends babies didn't leave me too much time to relax, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. 

Getting to see some of my favourite little girls <3
 Quality time with Addie, Ava and my wonderful cousins Danielle and Jeff and also Miss Izzee and of course her beautiful Mama Bear and Papa bear! 


  Being home really breaks my heart sometimes. However, it also makes me realize how lucky I am to have the people in my life that I do, and a town like Harrow to go home to. They say "Home is where your heart is". They also say "Home is where your story begins". As cliche, or corny as it sounds - they (whoever they are?) are right! Some days, I am so confused, and stressed on WHERE it is I want to be. I know WHAT I want to do, and am completely driven by passion and my enthusiasm for educating little ones…and I LOVE BC! It is beautiful here. But my home, will always be my home. It never gets easier saying the awful goodbye. So, what it all boils down to is this Lady Antebellum song: "So let your heart, sweet heart, be your compass when you're lost, and you should follow it wherever it may go. When it's all said and done, you can walk instead of run 'cause no matter what you'll never be alone".


That's my rant and rave about that. To summarize: Christmas - great, New Years - great, 26th Birthday (YIKES) - superb. All in all, it was a perfect break and I miss it dearly.

Since being back to school we have been vvvverrrrryyyyy busy. We started the year talking about New Years Resolutions and setting goals for ourselves. We even did some pretty cute self portraits with our goals (and noise makers) attached. 
 

YES MY FIVE AND SIX YEAR OLDS CREATED THESE THEMSELVES! I was so proud! I helped a bit with the hair, but the drawing was all them! 

We have been raising alevins in our class (for those of you back out east - baby salmon!). We were given about 50 salmon eggs at the beginning of January and last week they hatched! This is so exciting for the kids to witness, and ties perfectly in with our Life Cycles Unit! We also got to go to the Quatsino Fish Hatchery for a field trip, and will be going back before March Break (… yes I just said that!) to release our salmon! 


I could go on and on, but alas - - it is only Wednesday, and this is one tired teacher. On the bright side? Tomorrow is Thursdayyyy! 

Until next time!

All my Love, 

C



No comments:

Post a Comment